- Provides special services and interventions tailored to meet the needs of persons with disabilities in order to facilitate their integration into employment.
- Assists persons with disabilities to access employment or employment services by providing personal supports.
- Helps individuals to obtain skills ranging from basic to advanced skills, through courses purchased on their behalf or through direct assistance to individuals.
- Supports individuals in creating jobs for themselves by starting a business.
- Provides individuals with opportunities through which they can gain work experience which leads to on-going employment.
- Encourages employers to hire individuals who they would not normally hire by providing a wage enhancement.
Who is Eligible
A person with a disability who:
- is legally entitled to work in Canada
- who requires assistance to prepare for and get employment or become self-employed
- who is not eligible to participate in Employment Insurance funded employment programming
- is over 18 years of age
- has exhausted all traditional sources of funding
Definition of Disability
A person with a disability is a person who self-identifies as having a permanent physical or mental impairment that restricts his or her ability to perform daily activities.